Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bowl Games Round 2

National Championship Game. War Eagle.

Let me first say that no one unless you have graudated or attended Auburn University will you honestly be able to enjoy winning the National Championship like I did. I have to admit that in my short 25 years of life that it might be one of the most enjoyable, exciting, and memorable days I have ever had. (Granted I realize that I have yet to get married or birth any babies and I do hope that those days trump this day but this day will always be close in comparison).

Thankfully we had decided to fly from Mobile (because we had a wedding there the night before). Due to all the weather issues that north Alabama and Atlanta were having I was thankful that we had a smooth flight(s). Due to flying through Denver we were able to see Leslie and give one my best friends a hearty War Eagle en route to Phoenix.

We arrived early to find a sea of orange and blue. So many Auburn fans. I would walk aways and see people I knew and chat then continue on. I mean between two Auburn grads and one Auburn student I was surprised to realize that we saw so many people that we knew. But who am I kidding? This is the Auburn family. We tailgated with friends, attended organized tailgates by the Fiesta Bowl and just walked around to see the sights. All day I was surprisely calm and ready for the game to start. I guess that I just had a feeling that we would win. I don't know why.

Well game time hits. I start literally freaking out. I am a nervous wreck. I am screaming all the cheers, singing the fight song at the top of my lungs. I am surprised that I did not loose my voice before the game even started. All during the game I am nervou, can't sit still, up, down, talking to whoever will listen. So they tie the game up with oh two minutes left. I have to run to the bathroom because a) if we win I will wet my pants b) I am not sure I want to see the rest of this. So I take off running; literally running. I miss maybe one play and I am back. I see the run by Dyer. Start freaking out that we might actually win this thing. Then I pray for Wes Byrum's mother because I don't think that I could be her. I freak out when Cam tries to run because he could loose that football. Then Wes comes out. I am thinking you can do this. He has done this numerous times no big deal -- just the National Championship on the line this time. Think oh yes I already admitted that I would hate to be his mother right now. Dad and I look at each other and say well here goes. All I look for is for the refs arms go up. They do. I process that means a) we win b) game is over c) we are the National Champions.

Pure excitement. Pure joy. Tears of excitment. Amazement. War Eagle. Singing. Yelling. High fiving everyone in the section. Hugs all around. Yes, we won!

War Eagle!






No comments: